As I became more focused over the years in helping older adults downsize, I did some research and found that approximately 46% of adult children are caring for an elderly family member on some level.
The truth is that people are living longer due to healthier living and advanced medicine. What I found interesting, though, is that a large majority of the children of aging parents are in their 60’s and 70’s themselves. At a time when many are at retirement age, they are finding themselves responsible for the care of an elderly family member.
In most instances, the responsible adults are very caring and have even come up with a solution. Then why is everyone so stressed and anxious?
There are variety of reasons for this emotional scenario some of which are listed below.
- The aging parent is resisting or refusing to move out of their home even though it has become apparent to the rest of the family that this is not a good option.
- There is an immediate need for care or close monitoring of the elderly adult to ensure that there hasn’t been a fall, to disburse medications properly, to provide meals etc.
- The responsible adult has other personal or work responsibilities that prevent them from being able to also care for their parents effectively or lives out of the area.
- The cost of making the move is a challenge. While there are a variety of living options available for older senior citizens, the cost can be prohibitive for some families.
- The family has no idea where to start.
The good news is that there are many options available for our seniors and different levels of care and cost.
If you don’t know where to begin, give me a call, text or email and I will be happy to help guide you through the many senior resources and housing options available on the Central Coast.
As an expert in helping older adults downsize into a more manageable and carefree residence, I have developed a resource team of caring individuals who provide services from organizing, packing and sorting belongings, conducting estate sales, repairs, financial advice and home assessment to equip the home with safety features if needed.
Nancy Puder Senior Specialist & Real Estate Broker
Nancy Puder & Associates
Keller Williams Realty Central Coast